Blu-ray Releases: December 13, 2011
Two releases this week that I’ve been dying to get my hands on.
For starters, I need to eat some crow. First saw the trailer with Josh and Glenn in Los Angeles before Thor started rolling on the big screen, and I immediately pronounced my disinterest in the film. Fast forward a few months and many great reviews later and I now really want to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Plus a few good friends have praised it and I trust their judgement and so should you. Well, maybe not.
Here’s the full list:
• Branded to Kill (Criterion)
• City of God (Lionsgate)
• Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Umvd/Visual)
• Dragon Ball Z: Level 1.2 (FUNimation)
• The Expendables: Extended Director’s Cut (Lionsgate)
• Fright Night (1985) (Twilight Time)
• Fright Night (2011) (Disney/Buena Vista)
• Fright Night – 3D (Disney/Buena Vista)
• Heavenly Creatures (Lionsgate)
• Intruder: Director’s Cut (Synapse Films)
• Kill Katie Malone (Phase 4 Films)
• Kung Fu Panda 2 (DreamWorks)
• Kung Fu Panda 2 – 3D (DreamWorks)
• Meet Me in St. Louis (Warner Brothers)
• Rapture (Twilight Time)
• Rise of the Planet of the Apes (20th Century Fox)
• The Rocketeer: 20th Anniversary Edition (Disney/Buena Vista)
• Seven Chances: Ultimate Edition (1925) (Kino)
• Sherlock Holmes (1922) (Kino)
• Stars and Stripes Forever (20th Century Fox)
• Tanner Hall (Starz/Anchor Bay)
• Tokyo Drifter (Criterion)
• Velvet Goldmine (Lionsgate)
• WWE: The Best of King of the Ring (Vivendi)
The second film on my list? Kung Fu Panda 2 in 3D!! The first was charming and had some cool characters and all of it surrounded by kung fu action and storylines. I might be a sucker for computer animation and kung fu but when you combine the two AND toss in 3D… I’m all over it.
Not overlooking the Rocketeer 20th Anniversary Edition on purpose. I just want to see those other films that much more. How about you? What interests you the most this week?