OLD Forums (Archived)

** ATTENTION **

These forums are now closed for new posts and are being kept here as an archive.
Please visit and sign up for the new forums here.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Home media setup
Stryfe84
The Sidekick of Kevin Butler
Post Home media setup
on: July 28, 2012, 09:55

Listening to Glen talk about his NAS set up at home got me thinking that I need to update my home set up. I currently have all my media on a 1.5TB external hard drive plugged into the PS3's USB. It's worked fine so far but I'd quite like the idea of having it all in one location and streaming to other devices.

How does everyone else deal with their home media? Would be great to see a few good examples of home set up's. I'd like to rip all my dvd's to digital storage, any recommendations of good program's to use for someone without a clue would help. Can never seen to tip anything so it looks good on a 42" tv.

ArmorFist
Post Re: Home media setup
on: July 28, 2012, 11:30

My setup is pretty basic and has some flaws but it works for what I use it for. I have my music and some movies saved to my computer hard drive and use TVersity to stream video to my PS3 and I use Orb to stream music and movies to my iPhone. TVersity works alright most of the time. You'll need a wired connection to the PS3 and it doesn't like rewinding or fast-forwarding. So that is a pain sometimes. Orb works pretty well. Sometimes it seems to have connection issues where it will not be able to play certain songs and the app on the iPhone has some stability problem because it tends to crash but with updates it has been improving. Basically went this route cause it's cheap. Only spent $10 to get the app on my phone.

RichieBoy
PS3 Level User
on: July 29, 2012, 04:00

I've had such a hard time getting consistent media streaming around the house that I don't bother any more.

I have my PS3 and a small Acer miniPC (+ 1TB HDD) running through my home cinema amp, so this covers pretty much anything I need streaming or playback-wise. The PC won't do anything fancy, but it plays HD video well enough (as long as nothing else is running).

Twitter: CanaryWorf
PSN: Richieboy
Gaming, badly, since 1985.
UK

JoeBears
PSOne Level User
on: July 31, 2012, 11:47

I use a program called Playon running on my PC. It supports local media streaming and has tons of plug-ins for other media websites like HSB Go, Hulu(regular site, not plus), Crackle, Game Trailers.
Check out this website for some of the plug ins..

http://playonscripts.com/

smthng
on: August 1, 2012, 16:35

I'm a bit more complicated that some. I have two places where all my electronics live: the office and the TV room. The office contains a couple of Netgear ReadyNAS devices, my desktop computer and a bunch of my wife's work stuff, all hanging off a gig switch. That's connected to another gig switch in the TV room.

The TV room is home to the PS3, a Sony Bravia TV, a Dlink Boxee Box (going away very soon) and a little HTPC I built. The PS3 is now mostly just for gaming... The Bravia handles streaming from Amazon, mostly for the wife. The HTPC handles streaming everything else off the interwebs or NAS's using XBMC. All devices are routed through an Onkyo A/V receiver for sound and HDMI switching out to the TV. Everything is HDMI, but I use optical for audio from the HTPC, as that's easier than convincing HDMI to do everything correctly from a PC.

Most of my media gets collected by the HTPC at night, where it is organized and shuffled off to the NAS. There it sits until something wants it. Most of the stuff is simply played directly off of Samba shares on the NAS, although it supports DNLA and smthng else I forget for streaming for odd devices that need it. It was complicated to set everything up and took me a while to get it all working the way that I want it, but it's worth it to me. Honestly, the hardest part was ripping and encoding all my DVDs... Oh, and getting the remote programmed to handle everything (still working on that).

frunk
PSOne Level User
on: August 2, 2012, 07:46

Like smthng I have a complex setup. I have a Linux server with 10TB in RAID 6 and a NAS with 5TG in RAID 5. Soon to replaced with a Synology setup as some of the hardware is getting "old" and mechanical issues are creeping in. The Synology is a mid-range - very capable NAS box.

Currently I have Windows 7 HTPC which does all the media handling using the NAS/Server on SAMBA shares (For those uninitiated: SAMBA = getting Linux using "Windows Shares"). It also has Terrestrial and satellite capture cards using Media-portal; TV-Server. It also uses XBMC as a front end for the main media room. It also handles a bunch of other jobs which will eventually be handed off the Synology box.

I used to stream everything to PS3's using DNLA. The server of choice was "PS3 Media Server". I had no luck with MediaTomb, TVersity and a whole host of others - they just can't handle the trans-coding duties needed for the various film formats and devices which consume them. But I found PS3 Media Server to be the best of the bunch... also for not streaming to PS3's its still one of the best. Better than Samsung's own software to their tellys. Also open-source and free.

However you do need serious horsepower in your PC if you hope to transcode HD content.

So more recently I have adopted a different route - using Hacked AppleTV 2's running the FireCore software. I preferred using the FireCore's media player to XBMC on the AppleTVs as it is far more integrated and you can use the rest of the AppleTV functions - like NetFluix, Airplay, etc

I have experimented with XBMC on other devices too (Raspberry PI) but none are quite as slick, fast and crashproof as the FireCore software. Problem is you can't get those AppleTVs any more. However I think the OUYA will be an excellent replacement when it arrives - I can see it being a pretty high end media playback device running XBMC and other stuff of your choosing for around $100.

In my main room I route everything via HDMI through an Onkyo receiver and on to a Panasonic 3D projector.

I concur with smthng "the hardest part was ripping and encoding all my DVDs... Oh, and getting the remote programmed to handle everything (still working on that)."

Ripping DVDs - I gave up - now I pick up my DVD type the name into a newsserver and just download someone else's rip of the disc. Saves so much time 🙂 Illegal?! Well kinda... end result is the same. I have the physical disc in my hand and a nice rip on the PC... just how it got there is different.

I have adopted the Logitech Harmony remotes (1100 in the main room - cheaper one in the other room) for one key reason... you can get a PS3 Bluetooth adapter and get it properly integrated into your setup. Again - getting all this working right is an ongoing (never ending) job. You can always think of ways of making it better.

I also use EventGhost on the HTPC to capture unique remote control stuff from the Harmony renote to capture certain events and control other devices in the room. i.e. drop the projector into different modes and control the lighting (a mix of DMX and homebrew).

If anyone has ay questions fire away... I have gone through a lot of iterations to get this far.

smthng
on: August 3, 2012, 22:36

Nice. Our setups are very similar, although you're clearly using some higher quality gear than some of mine. I gave up on transcoding a while ago, found the HTPC a better solution for me but I'm already working on my third power supply, so thinking the Ouya or smthng like it might be the long term solution. Just curious what Onkyo are you running? I'm using a slightly older TX-SR805, which I love but it's had a couple of small HDMI decoding issues, mostly when dealing with 3D. Fortunately, the TV can manage what the Onk can't, so I just have to flip a couple cables on the rare occaision that I get a weird Blueray.

frunk
PSOne Level User
on: August 7, 2012, 10:00

Quote from smthng on August 3, 2012, 22:36
Nice. Our setups are very similar, although you're clearly using some higher quality gear than some of mine. I gave up on transcoding a while ago, found the HTPC a better solution for me but I'm already working on my third power supply, so thinking the Ouya or smthng like it might be the long term solution.

Yeah - transcoding works fine until you start to fast forward and rewind HD content - then you can hear your network and processor slowly melting.

And "oh look" - as predicted:
http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

There is the official team up message between XBMC and OUYA. So yeah - I think Ouya will offer the most cost effective, extensible and flexible mediacenter solution on the horizon.

Quote from smthng on August 3, 2012, 22:36
Just curious what Onkyo are you running? I'm using a slightly older TX-SR805, which I love but it's had a couple of small HDMI decoding issues, mostly when dealing with 3D.

I had an Onkyo TX-SR875 which I flogged on eBay as it did not support 3D. I think the 805 was the first to support 3D and so they were probably just sorting out the standards then. I made the jump in the last few months to a TX-SR809 which has been working flawlessly (despite me accidentally powering it off halfway through a firmware update - DOH!). I got it cheap as it has just been superceded, yet has all the functionality I had been wanting (4K upscaling - useful someday I am sure!!, HDMI 1.4a, network socket, iPad control, good amp, etc).

Always the best way to buy tech on the cheap. Learn the product cycles and grab a new high-end-ish "out of date model" that ticks all your "requirements" boxes (an easy 30-50% discount). It is a better tactic than buying a cheaper current model new. Both still have the same warranty and after a couple of years - the same resale value (Quality always sells).

Those 809's can be picked up for next to nothing now and your old 805 will still sell well on eBay 🙂

FrederickD-
Carpenter
PSOne Level User
on: August 22, 2019, 05:44

I have easily updated my home media software by visiting their official website and update the software. First time I am also facing the problem but when I was reading reviews in https://www.resumesservicesreview.com/resumesplanet-review/ website and over there I have found out that we can also update the software by visiting their official website.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.